Intent-Based Marketing On The Rise: Yieldbot Passes 1 Billion User Sessions Milestone

MediaPost Logo
by Yieldbot
Wednesday, January 7 th, 2015 -- 1:45 am

[Republished from MediaPost]

Yieldbot, an ad server that relies on consumer intent to deliver ads, claims to have surpassed one billion monthly user sessions across its platform, with publishers such as Meredith, Hearst and BrainyQuote using the technology.

That’s up 62% from January 2014, claimed Jonathan Mendez, CEO of Yieldbot, which works out to roughly 400 million more monthly user sessions per month today compared to one year ago.

Mendez says a “user session” begins when a person arrives on a publishers’ Web site and ends when they leave. The company’s ad server uses “intent-based marketing,” which relies on the “real-time consumer mindset as the targeting parameter,” explained Mendez. Rather than using past browsing behavior, which relies on cookies, Yieldbot tracks consumer clicks and keyword searches within individual sessions to determine intent and call ads accordingly.

Jeff Rich, CEO of BrainyQuote, told Real-Time Daily that BrainyQuote has no direct advertising sales and uses “intent-based marketing” via Yieldbot to sell over 25% of its inventory.

The ads are served on a programmatic basis, and Mendez says Yieldbot’s platform was recently upgraded to include their own version of real-time bidding (RTB). Prices were previously pre-determined.

“For buyers we have moved Yieldbot to Max CPC model (which is exactly how search works) so pricing has become more dynamic,” Mendez explains. “Prices are adjusted based on performance in real-time. For publishers we have moved Yieldbot to multiple line items in the ad server allowing our best performing campaigns to bid more. So yes, you can say real-time bidding has been introduced, but it’s in our own way that’s unique from exchange-based RTB and closer to search.”

Two intent-based marketing firms — Yieldbot and Intent Media — quietly raised over $40 million combined last summer.

Contact Us

Download Case Study